After not very much deliberation, I’ve purchased Ecto. Last week I became frustrated with limitations of the other tools I’d tried, so I posted the little issues I had with Ecto to their forums. After a few emails back and forth with the developer, I’d been given a new trial and we had worked through a few bugs and a couple of things that turned out to be limitations of either WordPress or the XML-RPC blogging APIs in general.
So now aside from a few niggly editor issues I have basically everything I want or know is possible in a blog editor. My posts on the topic are scattered through the software category, but taking my original list:
- Check (although they show up as published, that’s one of the XML-RPC limitations).
- Check (except WP online editor saves drafts with the date of unix epoch, making them generally impossible to download. I’m going to report that issue to them.)
- Doesn’t look like it’s supported, but I haven’t got many pics I want to upload yet anyway.
- Check. Checks as you type too, and includes an Australian dictionary 😀
- Semi check. So far any issues such as keyboard shortcuts and minor bugs have been addressed pretty quickly.
- I don’t think it can add or edit categories, but this was a minor request at best. It does have an option to refuse uploading a post with no categories selected, which is great.
- Check. I’ve stopped using them as much, but maybe I’ll get back into it since it’s so easy and they don’t appear in the text of what I’m editing at all.
- Check. I find the total UI lock thing annoying, but hey there’s a progress bar and I can’t screw anything up while it’s posting.
Only 2 missing and 1 partial. Nothing else came close. I still plan to eventually write a blog tool, but this is good enough that I may not bother for a while.
The one thing that really endears me to this software though is the developer. I’ve learnt the value of nice responsive support/ bugfixing, and this guy has it in spades. And at A$25, it’s also one of the cheapest on the market. If my mum was still in town I’d buy the mac version for her since it’s half price when buying the Windows version – and you can’t get a much better compliment than that 😉
Technorati Tags: Ecto