After I woke up this morning I dozed for a while, and just before I woke up I had a dream that I can remember. This isn’t particularly unusual for me although it doesn’t happen that often.
What is a little unusual is that the dream was about a game. I don’t know if I’m dreaming about something I read on the net or if I’ve come up with a brand new game, it’s certainly not a game that I can remember playing or reading about. I’m just going to do a brain dump here, and then discuss it afterwards. Since I’m completely unoriginal, I’m calling the character Spyder 😉
Spyder lives in small town. The town is visited by some big event that I did dream about but the memory faded before I could get it down. Everyone goes to pick a class.
Spyder has 6 lists to choose from. He picks a major class from list 5, he’s some kind of town planner / merchant thing, and a minor in Wisdom from list 4. I can’t remember the exact major class, but part of the activities the class performs involve the word "smust" which I recognise as hearing on a podcast last night – it’s Las Vegas slang for the smoke + dust combination that hangs over the city. I guess that part was just my brain recycling yesterday’s events 😉
List 5 has the normal game classes like Warrior, Thief etc. List 4 had stats like Wisdom, Strength, Agility. All 6 lists were visible when he was choosing, but I don’t remember what the others were.
Spyder could have picked a major in Wisdom, and when he picked his major everything had the word "greater" in front of it which was removed when he picked which one would be his major. EG he could have picked greater wisdom but picked greater <whatever the other thing was> and then just "wisdom".
The most interesting part of the whole design – he gives amulets of Wisdom to all of his buddies, and goes fishing. As his buddies go about their business, they pick up amulets which they give to Spyder. As he receives them he sets them into his amulet and this causes his Wisdom to level up. When he hits max level he picks a new minor class from list 4, and distributes a new amulet to his buddies.
So that was the dream. Things that I noted as I wrote it down:
- Where I’m saying list 4 and 5, I’m thinking there are not 6 class lists but 6 other character generation things (eg race, starsign in the elder scrolls series).
- At first glance List 5 is probably the normal game classes, where 4 is the stats. But then why would you be able to pick stats as a major?
- Perhaps stats majors let you min/max your statistics without having any real class distinction, so you become a jack of all trades, master of none?
- Alternatively it could be like Fury where everyone can train in everything, which would mean you could swap your major/minor classes around. This doesn’t really make sense looking given the minor levelling system though.
- I’m not sure how the minor levelling system I described is supposed to work. I dreamt that his friends pick up amulets, but it’d make more sense if it was gems or something. In any case they definitely don’t pick up anything unless Spyder gives them an amulet, and the stuff they pick up can only be given to Spyder. They would obviously pick up lots of this stuff if they have a lot of friends.
- Making this involve face-to-face contact wouldn’t scale in any MMORPG big enough to make money. Either it’s some kind of storage box / bank transaction, or this isn’t an MMORPG 😉
- Obviously the major levelling system would be where the gems are picked up, and probably be just your normal RPG questing system.
- I don’t know that Spyder would spend all day fishing, that would be boring and also lazy. It’s probably just to signify that he can’t directly level his minor class, it’s a very team-oriented game and you need friends to level.
- This seems a little unbalanced, and actually very unlikely to work in a real MMORPG scenario. Perhaps your minor levelling speed wouldn’t be directly tied to the number of friends you have.
I’m not really sure what to make of this. It sounds too much like an actual game design to be a dream worth interpreting, although the nuances of the class & level systems sound like it’d be a lot of fun if anyone were to build a game around it.
I just hope that if anyone does come across this and build the game they give me some of the credit 😉